Tuesday, March 17, 2015

My right to report, the first amendment

  Amendment I "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

  I will be the first to admit that I never gave my first amendment rights a second thought until recently. Of course, I knew my rights, I could say what I want and post what I want. But my first amendment rights go way beyond that.
  Through reading many different articles about ethics and the First Amendment I learned that these things should mean a lot to me as a journalism student. Being able to speak freely and write what I would like is what the First Amendment is all about. As well as being honest with the what I present and putting out work that is ethical through and through.
  In this day and age, there are a million and one ways to not only alter or change facts, but pictures as well. That is why it is important for me as a journalist to put out my best work possible without compromising my credibility as a professional. Yes, changing a quote could make my article more interesting or altering a picture could make it more appealing, but it is never worth losing my credibility.
  Nothing will make a journalist more credible than honoring both aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment